Sunday, April 19, 2009

Picnic and Possibilities

The company picnic was a success, I think. Not a smashing success, since the turnout wasn't huge, but the weather was very nice for this time of year, sunny and 70 or near it all day. I didn't get off work til 6:30, so Matt and I had a hamburger and chips at the park after that, and a cheesecake brownie each (which turned out, if I do say so myself, fabulous). Then we watched the perpetual volleyball game for a while. After about a quarter to 8 it got too chilly to sit outside on the grass, so we came home. No one else brought a dessert, so apparently I won the dessert contest by default. *Eye roll* Whatever. There weren't any sides, either, except for a million bags of chips which, I think, the store provided, and the side dishes that the other people on the committee brought. But that seems about the usual for big "group events"; the ones that plan the event do all or most of the work, and everyone else just shows up to eat and have fun. I'm not bitter, honestly. I've accepted it by now. It just still doesn't seem fair.

Moving on!

Moving! Us! Maybe. Yesterday, pretty much out of the blue, Matt talked to me about buying a house. Soon. Like in a couple of months. We could get an $8,000 credit from the government--they're doing that this year for first-time homebuyers. Just something small, nothing fancy, something to build up some equity and blah blah blah. (I don't really understand a lot of it, which is probably bad, but I'll learn as I go, I guess.) We're in about 900 square feet now, with two bedrooms and one bathroom, which is fine for us and, in a while, a baby too. So a house with pretty much the same things but a yard and a driveway and a mailbox.... Like this, but better! Our own! We could paint! We could hang pictures and not have to re-spackle the holes! We could plant flowers and have a dog and a clothesline. Nothing's for sure yet, but we've looked at online listings a little, and we're dreaming about paint colors and kitchen islands. Silly at this point, I know, but fun.

It's weird, I don't feel like that much of an adult yet. But I guess this is how you get to be an adult, by doing these things.

4 comments:

missdonna said...

You should totally win a huge prize since you worked AND still took a fabulous dessert to the picnic. They'd better pony up.

Sherry Ficklin said...

I agree. BIG prizes. Now is a good time to buy a house. Everything is so cheap!

alw_ays said...

No. Buying a house does not make you an adult. It makes you a big kid with a house! It's like a playhouse. You hang curtains, plant stuff, try out weird interior design stuff, change your mind, throw parties no one will care if you have...

Oh. It's a great big playhouse. With a dishwasher and laundry machines.

Anonymous said...

It MAY be time to buy and then again, waiting a few weeks or months might work. I have seen 2 standard 3 bedroom types, north location for just under 200, recently