Thursday, December 04, 2008

Christmas Meme

1. What is your favorite Christmas carol/song? Carol: Silent Night. Song: White Christmas, though I've been listening to The Man With the Bag a lot lately.



I've been listening to a different version, though, by Kay Starr.

2. White lights or multicolored? White on the tree (so they don't overwhelm the ornaments), coloured for outside.

3. Do you you have a cut tree, live tree or an artificial tree? Fake all the way! We LOST the bottom 1/3 of our first tree (how do you LOSE part of a Christmas tree??) so now we have a fabulous new WHITE, PRE-LIT fake tree. Pictures hopefully tomorrow.

4. Eggnog, mulled cider, or hot chocolate? Ughhhhhhhhhhh eggnog. *Gag* Mulled cider, eh. Hot chocolate for the win! Marshmallows for bonus points.

5. Do you decorate your house with lights? One year I put lights in the inside of our window, and paper snowflakes, too. This year I've wrapped coloured lights around the railing of our little back balcony. Since we have an apartment, that's all the more I feel like doing/can do.

6. Do you write a Christmas letter? I did last year and felt "eh" about it. Matt's little sister calls them "bragging letters," but I think it's usually more of an update for those relatives and friends you only see a couple times a year.

7. Do you like receiving Christmas letters/photos? Yes! I like non-Christmas themed photos better, so you can keep them up year-round, but the little themed photo things you can make at Wal-Mart are cute too. And I totally love the update letters, though I really only get one or two of those.

8. What is your favorite Christmas story/movie? I still like The Night Before Christmas, because I like cheesy rhyme-y things, at least for the holidays. And I love watching Love, Actually to get in the Christmas mood. It's just so heart-warming!

9. Have you ever made a gingerbread house? When I was about 11 or 12 we were at my Dad's parents' house for Christmas, and my aunt actually baked all the little shapes for us to make a few gingerbread houses. I still have the pictures, and I remember having a lot of fun sitting around the big table with my cousins and parents and aunts and uncles, eating candies and getting icing all over, then displaying the houses at Grandme and Grandpa's.

10. Poinsettias or holly? Please, please, please never give me live plants. Ever.

11. Do you display a nativity scene? Yup! Except now I can't remember where it came from. I want to say my grandma painted and fired it all for me in her ceramics class.... It's all brown, and fairly simple, but I like it!

12. Do you bake Christmas cookies? Depending on work and travel and everything, Mom and I have had a baking day near to Christmas for the last few years, if we can manage it. There's this great picture we took with her camera's self-timer several years ago:

Photobucket

We stacked the camera in the far corner of her little old kitchen, on top of like... a couple of books, a "tin" of Nestle Quick, and probably a box or two of instant mashed potatoes or something, then used a hand mirror to peek behind it and see the screen so we could tell if we'd be in the shot! It was kind of an adventure, but we were so proud of ourselves for figuring it out. And apparently laughing, too.

13. Ham or turkey? We never have turkey except on holidays, so I'm all about the turkey!

14. In what languages can you wish someone a Merry Christmas (without cheating)? Three! (Sort of.)
American: Merry Christmas
Spanish: Feliz Navidad
British: Happy Christmas

Har har, I know.

15. Do you know all the words to Jingle Bells? Not the middle parts about the horse and stuff....

16. Do you put presents under the tree? Totally! Although they're usually only there a few days before Christmas, because the shopping and wrapping isn't done til then.

17. How do you eat a candy cane? From the straight end, not the curved end. (Does this question make sense now, Jen?)

18. What is your biggest holidays pet peeve? RUDE CUSTOMERS. Being cranky to me is not going to magically change policy or fix your broken item or make your expired coupon work, or do anything else to help the situation at all. I wish people could just take a deep breath, remember that it's just stuff, and understand that I am not trying to screw them over, I'm just doing my job. Ugh. Luckily, this happens but rarely.

19. What is your favorite Christmas tradition? I don't know that we really have any.... I guess the baking/candy-making? I also like wearing my Christmas socks, earrings, and headbands.

20. What was the best present you ever got for Christmas? My sewing machine! I've used it loads, and will continue to use it frequently probably until it wears out and I have to get a new one.

21. Do you open gifts Christmas Eve or Christmas Day? My family always opened gifts Christmas Eve (usually after church service) and then woke up to stockings Christmas Morning. However, Matt's family opened one gift from under the tree on Christmas Eve, then all the rest of the gifts as well as stockings on Christmas Morning, so it depends on who we're having Christmas with that year. (Also, Matt's family WRAPS everything in the stockings, down to pens and lip gloss. They're inside a stocking! You can't see them! Why must they be wrapped? LOL)

Thanks for the meme, Jenny!

Tune in tomorrow for 8 Things Friday.

2 comments:

Brittany said...

I loved this, I might have to take it. Also, I love your mom. Everytime you mention her, it's for some awesome reason. Mom/daughter baking days are the absolute best.

Jennifer Berry said...

Wrapping the stocking stuffers?!?!? I've never heard of that!! :-)